Although exact dates and origins are not known, it is believed that the dice can be traced back to the Roman Empire. So quick was its acceptance within society, that it is said that some emperors actually tried cheating with this little gambling implement. The first square shaped dice roughly goes back to 600 BC and while the Romans are credited with its creation and its spread, so are the Chinese. The dice wasn’t just used to wager, it was used to make predictions and the materials used to make it included bone and stone. Craps itself is also said to have its roots in more than one culture. The commonly held belief is that the game comes from the Chinese game of sic bo and the British game of Hazard. However, it was the French, the same nation that gave us roulette that named the game Craps.
Rules for Online Craps
Online craps is played with two dice cubes and on a table that’s structured to provide you with all types of betting options. At the outset the came can seem complicated and maybe even intimidating. The online craps table consists of three major betting areas - two outside sections and one centre section. These sections allow you make Pass, Don’t Pass, Come on, Don’t Come on, Odds and Field bets. At the centre you can place what is known as proposition bets.
Types of Bets to Place
Below are the various bets you can place followed by brief definitions. All our online casinos that offer online craps offer practice play, an effective means to learning the rules of the game and how to play it. In the meantime however, you can start learning already by becoming acquainted with the following terms and bets:
- Pass Line Bet: To win, try and achieve a 7 or an 11. Achieving a 2, 3 or 12 will secure you a loss.
- Come on Bet: The same rules that apply to the Pass Line Bet apply to this one.
- Don’t Pass Line Bet: This one is placed opposite to the Pass Line Bet. In this bet you need to achieve a 2 or a 3 to win with a 12 being a tie.
- Don’t Come Bet: Once again, this one is the opposite of a Come Bet. You will need to roll and make a point before you can go forth and wager.
- Field Bets: This bet lets you bet that either 2, 3, 4,9,10, 11 or 12 will be rolled. Anything else will give you a loss. Depending on the outcome, you can get a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 payout.
- Big 6 and Big 8 Bets: This bet can only be won if a 6 or an 8 is achieved before a 7.
- Proposition Bets: These bets are placed on the centre of the table and all bets offer various odds ranging from 30 to 1 to 8 to 1.
- Horn Bet: This one roll bet applies to getting 2, 3 11 or 12 and the payout is based on the number.
- Hardways: In this bet you’ll be betting on pairs and if you win the payouts range between 8 to 1 and 10 to 1.
Get your Online Craps Bonus
If you’re looking to get some extra bang for your buck, then our New Zealand online casinos are just for you! Each operator offers a different type of online craps bonus that you can use to play not just craps alone, but a range of other exciting online casino games!